Monday, April 20, 2015

Francis Cardinal George as I Know - My Brother Francis in Christ and My Shepherd, Who Has Blessed and Inspired Me

After more than a half century of dedicated service to the Lord, Francis Cardinal George was called home by God.  He was born to eternal life, on Friday, April 17, 2015, at age 78. Though we are saddened by Cardinal George's passing, our heart remains filled with gratitude for his service to the Lord, as it has nourished and inspired us, who have been fortunate to be pastored by him for the last 17 years in Chicago.  Of course, our faith assures that Cardinal George continues to be with us and among us in spirit, as the ascended Jesus has been with us through parakletos, transcending  temporal et territolialis finium.

Because I was fortunate to have met Cardinal George in person several times, I cannot help but remember him in a special way -  not only as an archbishop of Chicago but rather as my brother in Christ, as “brother Francis”. Obviously, I have been personally touched by the risen Christ in Cardinal George, through his pastoral quality, which reflects his Christ-centered personal character.

When I first met him, it was at a garden party in his residence, after celebrating Mass to conclude Theology-on-Tap program, in August, 2002. Theology-on-Tap is a month-long program for Catholics in the 20s and the 30s to experience what the Church and its faith tradition can offer to this young adult generation.  Cardinal George was very supportive of now-international program to address theology for young adult Catholics in a relaxed summer-breeze setting over some beer started in Chicago, promoted by Fr. John Cusick, with blessings from Joseph Cardinal Bernadine, in the early 1980s. Not only he opened his residence to welcome participants of Theology-on-Tap but Cardinal George spoke to as many young adult Catholics as he could over this program to show how much he liked to engage in this generation of Catholics, who otherwise might not stay in the Church.

Thanks to Fr. Cusick, then director of the Young Adult Ministry program of the archdiocese, I had the honor to serve as a liturgical co-coordinator for the Theology-on-Tap Mass, celebrated by Cardinal George.  After this Mass at Holy Name Cathedral, I had an opportunity to speak with Cardinal George, together with my fellow Theology-on-Tap participants and liturgical volunteers I coordinated, in his residence.

Though the titles, “Archbishop of Chicago” and “Cardinal”, may make it a bit uneasy to approach him, I immediately noticed that Cardinal George was as easily approachable as “brother Francis”, once the initial ice was broken.  This ease is due to Cardinal George’s outgoing friendliness, reflecting the flow of the Holy Spirit, as he often initiate conversations with his “Hello” and greetings, especially, to those who seem shy or nervous in meeting him.  Within a minute, we all engaged in laughter-filled conversation with Cardinal George.

With Francis Cardinal George, 2002 Theology-on-Tap Garden Party

This experience reminded me that the foremost important factor in pastoral ministry is the kind of hospitality and approachability that Cardinal George exhibited to all of us, no matter who we are and where we are from. This hospitality and friendliness is also about getting to know each person as who he or she is.  Even though he had to meet so many people in a very limited time, Cardinal George made conscious efforts to get to know each of us, beyond “Hello” and handshake.  Witnessing this most important element of ministry in Cardinal George, I began to be more cognizant about Cardinal-George-like hospitality in my own lay ministry leadership.

On another occasion, I witnessed outgoing friendliness of Cardinal George, when I chaperoned my confirmation students to a youth retreat.  As a feature of this confirmation youth retreat, Mass was celebrated by Cardinal George.  

Like young adult Catholics, this young generation of Catholics tend to find the Church “boring” or “too conservative”, as there have been many young Catholics, who left the Church shortly after receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.  

Those who have taught religion to preteen and teen students know how difficult it is to keep them engaged as you teach what the Catholic Church is about. And, this is the very generation that you often find them drifting away mentally or even bold enough falling asleep in the pews during Mass. However, including my students, all preteen and teen participants of the youth retreat were listening attentively to Cardinal George’s homily.  It is not because he was Cardinal but rather because the way Cardinal George engaged this otherwise elusive generation through his homily.  The youth on this retreat wanted Cardinal George to spend the rest of the day with them – even though many of them might have thought that it would be boring to listen to him, as they found it difficult to let him leave after celebrating Mass for another scheduled commitment.

Again, Cardinal George taught me what it takes to practice effective ministry through his example. The ministry must be practice as in the way of the rubber meets the road. 

It was December 2009, when I met Cardinal George, once again, though I had never thought that it would turn out to be my last personal meeting with him. Thanks to a Jesuit scholastic friend, Steven Pitts, SJ, whom I was assisting his efforts to serve the Lord in Japan, and his mentor, Fr. Michael Sparough, SJ, whom I enjoyed working for the Charis Ministry,  I was able to join a Jesuit scholastics’ dinner meeting with Cardinal George .  At this event in a Jesuit residence , I had the privilege also to meet, again, Fr. Raymond Baumhardt, SJ, former president of my alma mater, Loyola University Chicago, as he was working with Cardinal George, at that time.

Together with Fr. Baumhardt, Fr. Sparough, and Jesuit scholastics, I was very fortunate to enjoy dinner conversation with Cardinal George.

As Fr. Sparough introduced me to Cardinal George, he immediately recognized me, smiling and saying, “We have met!”. This recognition that Cardinal George made put all of us at ease and on a fiesta mode to share. This time, we had more time to enjoy conversation.  Of course, this showed not just how good his memory was but rather how he cares each person he has encountered, regardless of his or her status or position.  This really reflects how God cares and knows each person on earth.  Knowing that he meets so many people every day, I never thought that he would remember me.  But, it sure tells that Cardinal George value every meeting with a person, no matter how brief it may be, rather reflecting this Japanese  proverb, “Ichigo Ichie”(一期一会), which values a meeting with a person as if never to meet again.

Cardinal George obviously wanted to know me more personally, just as much I wanted to know about him.  He asked me about my ministry activities, beyond my involvement with Theology-on-Tap and youth ministry.  I described my journey of professional development in pastoral ministry to have become a professional lay pastoral minister and a certified catechist. Cardinal George was pleased to acknowledge the progress on my journey to serve the Lord better. He also thanked me for the service I provide in the archdiocese.

Because he is easy to engage in conversation, I found myself asking Cardinal some personal questions, in regard to his own ministry experiences and personal interests. In response, Cardinal George uninhibitedly shared his experience and thoughts with me.  As I listened to him, it was evident that Cardinal George really loves meeting people from all walks of life and from all cultures of the world, while acknowledging inevitable challenges in dealing with cultural and value differences.  His distinct interest in difficult cultures and inculturation reminded me that he has been a missionary priest of the Missionary Oblates of Immaculate Mary (OMI).

As our conversation topic shifted from multicultural pastoral ministry in the diverse Chicago archdiocese to a global missionary, reflecting Cardinal George’s OMI missionary background, I told him that my country, Japan, has its own unique share in the Church’s global missionary history – though the Catholic population in Japan is very small.  Cardinal George showed his particular interest in the missionary history in Japan, also reminding me of the presence of his religious order, OMI, in Japan.  

In fact, the focal point of Cardinal George’s interest in the Catholics in Japan was on the strengths in their faith, which had sustained for almost 250 years of severe persecution, without any priest or bishop to guide.   He acknowledged that it really amazes him how Japanese Catholics managed to maintain their faith under such an extremely difficult condition, not only being under persecution but also being totally cut-off from Vatican’s support, as Japan enclosed itself from the rest of the world, while the persecution went on.  In fact, in regard to the Japanese Catholic heritage, Cardinal George emphatically pointed out as a good example to highlight the quality of faith over a mere number of the faithful.

I had never thought that Cardinal George had such a strong interest in the Catholic heritage of Japan, given the fact that there are not many Japanese Catholics in Chicago. Not even many Japanese American Catholics.  The presence of the Catholics of Japanese background in Chicago is very small.  Japanese Catholics are not like Filipino Catholics in Chicago and elsewhere, even among Asian Catholics. Perhaps, this reflects the fact that the Catholics barely make up less than 1% of the total population in Japan.  However, perhaps, even he rarely ministers  to a Japanese Catholic person in Chicago, Cardinal George showed his strong interest in the Japanese Catholic heritage.  And, it was not just because of me, but it was also because of his missionary background as a member of the OMI order.

I was so happy to know that he was so interested in my faith heritage from Japan.  And I told him that I really want to see myself on the continuum of countless courageous faithful, who kept the faith strong during these difficult years in Japan.  To this my missionary spirit, Cardinal George said that he also wants me to serve the Lord to take this strong Catholic legacy in Japan further towards the fullness.  In fact, Cardinal George gave me his blessing on my missionary spirit to serve the Lord in Japan, telling me that it can be my next calling. Of course, I was so empowered and inspired by this blessing that Cardinal George gave me.

During this conversation, we also shared a light-hearted moment of laughter, upon giving St. Francis Xavier a huge credit for planting a good seed of faith in Japan, setting a stage for the Japanese Catholics to cultivate this exemplary strength of faith that endured all adversities for many years.  Because the name of this missionary priest to Japan is Francis, and Cardinal’s name is also Francis, and my baptismal and confirmation name is also Francis, we just felt a very strong bonding through our name, Francs. Cardinal George and I are not only brothers in Christ but also brothers in the order of Francis, as it is our name in Christ.  If we had that dinner conversation today, Pope Francis would be added to this order of Francis that Cardinal and I are in. Not to mention, this order goes back to St. Francis of Assisi, our beloved Saint.

Now in retrospect, it was not a coincidence that Cardinal George had such a strong interest in the Japanese Catholic heritage, as he personally described to me.

It was his polio experience that led him outside Chicago and made him as a missionary priest, before his service as Bishop of Yakima and then as Archbishop of Chicago. 

Because of his motor disabilities caused by polio, young Francis George was not welcomed by Quigley Preparatory Seminary of the Chicago Archdiocese.  The Chicago seminary saw him “unfit” to become a priest because of his polio-related challenges.  But, young Francis George did not let this rejection stop him from pursuing his desire to become a priest, as his heart was burning strong.  So, he searched around and around for a seminary that would accept and welcome him, regardless of his disabilities. And, his uncompromising spirit toward priesthood found a preparatory seminary of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) religious order in Belleville, IL, as a welcoming place for him to continue responding to his call to become a priest.

Cardinal George is a man of faith-driven strengths and resilience, as he did not allow any challenges, including his polio-related disabilities, keep him from pursuing his call.  He is a fighter, and all his battles for the Lord result in victory.  Through his diligent and tireless efforts, guided by the Holy Spirit, Francis George not only became an OMI priest but climbed through the missionary order’s ranks, while obtaining two doctorate degrees and making missionary trips to 68 countries.

The strengths and resilience of Cardinal George sure resonates with these of the Japanese Catholics, who endured 250 years of persecution even without any support from Vatican and without any priest or bishop. The early Christians survived  300 years of persecution in the Roman Empire as they were guided by bishops and priests. But, the Catholics in Japan had to survive without these shepherd figures for 250 years.  This unique strengths and resilience of the Japanese Catholic heritage must have gravitated Cardinal Georges’ interest and help his own strengths and resilience to drive him beyond any obstacles.

Perhaps, Cardinal George might not have developed such a strong interest in the Catholic heritage in Japan and in inculturation – had he not suffered from polio.

Had Cardinal George not suffered from polio, my dinner conversation with Cardinal George back in 2009 could have been not as meaning as it was.

As I continue to remember how warmly touched, blessed and inspired by Cardinal George, how he inspired my own missionary spirit, I must find an opportunity to serve the Lord in my country, Japan, so that I can make a happy report to Cardinal in heaven in regard to the progress of my missionary, as an extension of the original missionary of our brother, Francis, St. Francis Xavier. When the Lord grant me an opportunity to engage in pastoral ministry in Japan, drawing upon all my ministry experience in Chicago, it will be done in honor of and in memory of Francis Cardinal George, who has inspired me and blessed my missionary spirit.

After all, Cardinal George was a very humble and obedient servant of the Lord and respondent to his call. He just wanted to be remembered as a shepherd who did his best to help us grow holier.

Cardinal George, my brother Francis, you sure did!  You sure did to me, as you have done so to countlessly many around the world through your 52 years of ministry.  Please watch me and continue to bless me and guide me as I continue on my journey with the missionary spirit, which you have blessed during our last conversation.


Thank you, Cardinal George....brother Francis...for inspiring me to strive to be holier. May you now enjoy your heavenly Sabbath in your dwelling place that the Father has prepared for you (John 14:2). 

No comments:

Post a Comment